Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs



IT'S THE LAST BOOK IN THE MISS PEREGRINE SERIES! I loved the first and second book and I was so eager to finish the series so that I could find out what happens (but at the same time, I didn't want to series to end because I love this world so so much!)

But... alas, I had to start the third book and find out what happens to my dearly beloved, peculiar characters...

As the story opens, sixteen-year-old Jacob discoers a new ability, and soon he's diving through history to rescue his peculiar companiions from a heavily guarded fortress. Accompanying Jacob on his journey are Emma Bloom, a girl with fire at her fingertips, and Addison MacHenry, a dog with a nose for sniffing out lost children.

They'll travel from modern-day London to the labyrinthine alleys of Devil's Acre, the most wretched slum in all of Victorian England. It's a place where the fate of peculiar children everywhere will be decided once and for all.

I would have loved to have given this book five stars like I did with Hollow City, but the most important thing about a series let this one down: it's ending. It just didn't feel right at all. It felt wrong to have that happen and I just felt a bit deflated once I had closed the book.

As much as I hate finishing a book on a cliffhanger or an ending that is filled with feels, it makes me feel something, it makes me sit there and think about the entirety of the book. With Library of Souls, everything was wrapped up nicely in sparkly wrapping paper with a big bow on top of it. It's so hard moaning about the ending without giving away spoilers but let me just say this: Riggs could have ended the series a little bit better. That's not to say that ending was awful and the worst thing I've ever read: it wasn't. It was still slightly satisfying and wrapped everything up nicely but I just feel like it could have been done slightly better.



 "It had become one of the defining truths about my life that, no matter how I tried to keep them flattened, two-dimensional, jailed in paper and ink, there would always be stories that refused to stay bound since books. It was never just a story."
- Ransom Riggs, Library of Souls



Apart from the ending however, the rest of the book was absolutely brilliant. We got a lot of character development, there was still that stupid, weird romance between Emma and Jacob (I just ignore it), there was loads of exciting action, plot twists which left me shocked, heartbroken and nearly crying.

This was a roller coaster of a read and I'm gutted that the series has ended. It's one of the best series - if not the best - that I have ever read and I'm so sad to leave the peculiar world behind. I fell in love with all of the characters and just arrggghhhhh noooooo... Please don't make me leave this world. I love it too much. Can it just be real...? I need the Tales of the Peculiar in my life. In fact, I'm going to go into my local bookstore right now and buy it because it's the only thing I have left of the world of the peculiars. RANSOM RIGGS, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!


I don't even know what else to say about this book. If my fangirling and crying hasn't proven how good this whole series is, then I don't know how else to get you to GO AND BUY THE SERIES! RIGHT NOW... This is definitely a series that I will be re-reading over and over and over and over and over and over...

... and over and over and over...

You get the idea. So go and buy all three books, marathon them and then join me in my hysterical crying.



Goodreads | Bloglovin | Twitter Facebook

Labels: , , , ,