Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell



Rainbow Rowell is slowly becoming one of my favourite authors. After searching for all of her books on Amazon, I came across Kindred Spirits. Since I am no longer in school, I miss out on all the World Book Days and I don't get to see all of the amazing books that are written for it.

Following World Book Day tradition, this book is very very short. It's 62 pages, so if you were expecting a Fangirl size book, then you're going to be disappointed. It didn't even take me an hour to finish this book but I loved every single second of it.




If you broke Elena's heart, Star Wars would spill out. So when she decides to queue outside her local cinema to see the new movie, she's expecting a celebration with crowds of people who love Han, Luke and Leia just as much as she does. What she's not expecting is to be last in a line of only three people; to have to pee into a collectable Star Wars soda cup behind a dumpster or to meet that unlikely someone who just might truly understand the way she feels.

This book is both cute, hilarious and real. I totally related to the character of Elena since I am also a huge Star Wars fan.

The concept of the book was really good. I love the idea of a massive fan queuing outside a venue for days on end just so they can get good seats. I would love to do this myself as the longest I've queued was when my best friend and I went to a concert and went four hours before the doors opened so that we could get a good view. We were fifth in line. So I can relate to Elena on that front also.




"How could you possibly have a dark secret involving the Star Wars prequels? Are you responsible for Jar Jar Binks?"
- Rainbow Rowell, Kindred Spirits



I also loved the argument that Rowell portrays through this book of geeks vs fake geeks (fake geeks being people who pretend to like 'geeky' things because they think it will make them 'cool'). In no way am I agreeing or disagreeing with the argument that is conveyed to the readers, but I found it very interesting. 

The ending too was absolutely amazing. It's probably one of the best endings I've read in a long time! 

The only part of this book that I didn't get is that Elena is described as quiet, a person who finds it difficult to talk to other people but throughout this 62-page story, I didn't see any of that. I saw a girl who was confident to talk to a complete stranger and pee in a cup whilst he was standing a few feet away.

If you're looking for a quick and easy read that is lighthearted and funny then this is the book for you. Even if you're not a Star Wars fan - read this book! 

Rainbow Rowell has done it again - another amazing story!


Goodreads | Bloglovin | Twitter Facebook

Labels: , , ,